Friday, February 19, 2010

Tim Igoe EMAT Lecture

Tom Igoe presented an EMAT lecture today at UT that was very interesting and that increased my awareness of design and production. I was not aware of all the different ways to design and creative these new devices, even devices that I have that Igoe talked about. One design he spoke about was the Sniff toy that would be used for blind children to read story books. Not only did this touch my heart but also was so creative in the name, look and process of the toy. I love how the dog would sniff out the story. It seems so simple, yet you do not realize that there is a large team and company behind this product in order to create and promote it.
One of the funnier items that stood out of the designs that Igoe lectured on was the three stuffed animals that were co-dependent on one another. I thought it was hilarious that when one would be hugged the other two would talk trash about it. The actions of the animals reminded me of sibling rivalry and how humans do this every day but it takes stuffed animals for us to realize this.
Overall, the most important factor that Igoe spoke about to me, was the breakdown of these designs and how we need to prepare for the day that they no longer work, nor is there a need for them. The fact that designers are looking to be more eco-friendly and also recycle products to make new ones is great. I think that it is awesome that the Olympic medals in Vancouver this year are being created from old metal taken from computers and other electronics. I'm glad that finally people are using what we have to create new products. Not only does it help the earth, but it can also help our pockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment