Monday, February 22, 2010

History of Television

After exploring the Museum of Television website, I learned more about how television came to be, how the stars came about and about TV themselves. The interactive program that they have on the website that you can select a TV and learn about that particular TV was cool. I also explored the World Fair again which was fun to see all the different things that happened at the fair and what was going on. I found it funny that there were such different things displayed at the fair such as plastic and television. I also looked at Marilyn Monroe's progress through television and found that her image developed the more she was featured in television and her roles also seemed to decrease in intelligence.
The website, History of Computing Science, gives a really nice time-line and explaination of the invention and development of computers. While it was not as fancy as the Museum of Television website, it was much more detailed in a science sense. I thought it was really cool that a lot of the names I recognized due to chemistry and in particular due to physics that I have taken.
In class, I thought the documentary we watched was really interesting and informative. It helped to follow the development of television from radio and how or why things we have today are the reason they are called RCA or why we have electric tvs rather than mechanical. One thing I learned today was that television was developed out of radio not film. Seeing that TV and film both involve images, I suppose this is why I always assumed that TV was developed from film. Although now the sense of signals and being able to spread the signal to millions of people makes much more sense that the TV was developed through the radio not film.

No comments:

Post a Comment