Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Xerox Project and Peformance Art Continued...






























The Xerox project was extremely fun and turned out to be one of my favorite projects I've done in class so far. I'm tried to make the pieces look like one on each cork board that I used, while I started from my feet and went to my head. I incorporate some of my favorite things along with body parts to make it even more personal. I love the piece and how it turned out in the end.

Meanwhile, in class we continued with performance art. After exploring Gilbert and George and Orlan, I find that their pieces of art work and performances are bizarre and something that I would never think of as art. However since after viewing several pieces such as the singing sculpture and more of the artworks by both artists, I found that they are just continuing pushing the box and social norms. Gilbert and George's 2-D artworks that display themselves naked with a color, crazy background is really just a new dada or popart. Their singing sculpture definitely questions art and what is it and reminds me of the characters that are live sculptures in Disney or other theme parts, which obviously is a complete result of the influence of Gilbert and George.

Orlan on the other hand I found extremely interesting from her desire to redesign her body to create new art. Her African hybridization of herself are so well done that they seem like make-up and some sort of mask had to be used but to think that she used technologies such as photoshop is amazing. I thought it was also interesting that she created these figures from photoshop rather than doing it through plastic surgery. I think that these are creating art that would have never been thought of and as artists are extremely intriguing.

11 comments:

  1. I really liked your idea of using cork board, I thought it made the project pop! I also thought the project flowed from one section to the next really well. Nice Work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. : I think it is really cool how you used objects related to who you are in your project. I also really like the separation of the different aspects of who you are. I think it really illustrates that people have many different sides of themselves to make up the whole.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. I like how you used eight different cirlces that work and flow together to make one piece. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your piece reminded me of the song "girls just wanna have fun" because of all the girly items in it and also the song " i wanna be a rock star" because of the sunglasses! i liked how your project reflects who you are!

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my favorites. I like how you used more than your body and grouped everything together. Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like how the circles look all making up parts of you. I think the way you went from your head to your feet was a very cool idea, and it is executed very well. Each circle is a distinctive representation of yourself, and they come together beautifully as a whole!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, Reiterating what others said: the circles are very unique, I liked how you stuck with one main body group for each.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your canvas was definitely one of the most creative. Using each circle for a different body part was a unique idea and I think it helps to break up the chaos on each one. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  9. i thought that yours was really unique, i liked the layout a lot

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved the circles! This was so cool, because it was clear that you love everything you put on your project. I also liked how you added your tatoos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The separation of personal imagery in each of the circles was a great idea. Each circle represents a tiny fragment of yourself and when put all together, it paints a picture of who you are.

    ReplyDelete